Unpack your Christmas decorations now!
If you are like us, the trick-or-treaters have barely cleared the streets when you are already unpacking the Christmas decorations! The garland is out on the front door, the mistletoe is hung, and the tree is already blinking with festive cheer. Now some people might call us crazy, but studies now show that we may be the happiest people around!
"In a world full of stress and anxiety, people like to associate with things that make them happy and Christmas decorations evoke these strong feelings of childhood," says psychoanalyst Steve Mckeown. This means that people who can't wait to drape their homes in holiday cheer are more connected to their childhoods and feel happier!
If you need more scientific proof, psychotherapist Amy Morin says that the holidays "help link people to their personal past and it helps people understand their identity. For many, putting up Christmas decorations early is a way for them to reconnect with their childhoods."
Still need convincing?
Benefits of decorating early include:
- Spikes in dopamine which is a feel-good hormone
- Acting as chromotherapy (color therapy) which is known to boost energy levels and increase happiness
- Creating special childhood and family-centric memories
- Your neighbors thinking you are more friendly and sociable
- Encouraging a sense of wonder and magic
- Sparking feelings of warmth and nostalgia
Who can resist smiling at a Christmas tree? So get decorating! There is definitely no harm in it! Let's spread the festive cheer and make the world a happier place!
Based on the materials from Apost.com