DASH diet has been listed as of the best diets for a number of years. The doctors say that it’s the most effective diet that can also fortify a person’s health. Based on the physicians of the National Institutes of Health, the DASH diet obtained a score of 3.3 points out of 5 in the “Weight Loss Effectiveness” classification and 4.5 points out of 5 in the “Health Usefulness” category.
What is DASH Diet?
DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) is a diet which was developed particularly for blood pressure reduction when a person suffers from hypertension.
But later on, scientists understood that this diet also resolves many other health problems. This includes cholesterol level reduction, stroke and heart failure avoidance, and weight stabilization. Apart from that, it is also the best diet to prevent diabetes.
What is the concept of DASH diet?
All of the essential components like calcium, proteins and vegetable fiber that are accountable for the functioning of the brain and the internal organs, as well as hair and skin health, are balanced in this diet.
This diet is also convenient because you don’t have to compute and monitor each component. All you have to do is to eat certain suggested products such as fruit, vegetables, grain products, protein-containing foods, and dairy products and lessen the quantity of salt in dishes.
The main feature of the DASH diet in contrast with other diets is that it was made for people who have to take care of their diet all through their lives. That’s why you don’t have to put up with hunger. In fact, you can afford numerous and tasty dishes and all you have to keep in mind are the following basic rules.
It’s not about the amount of the food as much as it is about its quality. Here are some main principles that you must follow if you’re having DASH diet:
- Drink at least 2 liters (67 fl oz) of fluid per day.
- Eat 5 times a day. One serving’s weight must be not more than 215 g (8.80 oz).
- Everyday calorie intake: around 2,000-2,500 kcal.
- Sweets must no more than 5 times a week.
- Try to consume more cereals, seeds, beans, lean meat, and vegetables.
- You must avoid drinking soda or alcohol.
- You can have not more than 8 snacks per day (in addition to basic meals.) But you can have a bite if you’re really hungry.
- Alcohol and tobacco are forbidden.
- Lessen salt and consume up to 2-3 tsp. per day.
- Your diet must include whole wheat bread.
- Eliminate smoked or fatty foods, pickles, pastry, canned fish, and meat.
What you can eat:
In DASH diet, you have to practice a proper diet and you must set your goals. Whether you wanted to lose weight or to become healthier, you must keep that in mind. Just in case you wanted to lose some weight, your menu should be comprised of fewer calories. In short, you have to lessen the servings.
Your daily diet may be comprised the following products:
- Cereals: not less than 7 servings a day (one serving = a loaf of bread, 1/2 cup of cooked pasta, 1/2 cup of porridge.)
- Fruit: not more than 5 servings a day (one serving = 1 fruit, 1/4 cup of dried fruit, 1/2 cup of juice.)
- Vegetables: 5 servings a day (one serving = 1/2 cup of boiled vegetables.)
- Non-fat dairy products: 2-3 servings a day (one serving = 50 g (1.80 oz) of cheese or 0.15 liters (5 fl. Oz.) of milk.)
- Seeds, beans, nuts: 5 servings a week (one serving = 40 g (1.40 oz.)
- Animal and vegetable fats: 3 servings a day (one serving = 1 tsp. of olive or linseed oil.)
- Sweet dishes: not more than 5 times a week (one tsp. of honey or jam.)
- Fluids: 2 liters (67 fl. Oz.) a day (water, green tea, juice.)
- Protein: 0.2 kg (7 oz.) of lean meat or fish, eggs.
What to avoid:
Of course, we have to avoid all of the usual “unhealthy” products.
You can eradicate harmful products step-by-step and at the end, the desire to eat forbidden foods will vanish.
How to plan your diet:
You can make your own menu by taking into attention the diet’s guidelines and the products that you’re permitted to eat.
You don’t have to do anything distinctive to make your diet. All you have to do is to include necessary products and eliminate the “bad” ones slowly. In case your goal is to lose weight, you have to cut the number of suggested servings.
You can also search for various tasty dishes that are suitable for the DASH diet on the Internet.
The DASH diet is a stress-free, safe, and beneficial diet that can help you feel better and eliminate excess weight.
Such a diet offers the essential amount of microelements and vitamins to your body. Also, there are no time frames for you to follow in this diet. You can lose some pounds smoothly and without suffering from hunger or sudden variations in weight. This will also mean that your body won’t be stressed.
Have you already tried the DASH diet? Did it help you? Please share your experience with us in the comment section below!
Based on materials from Brightside
Illustrated by Germielyn Balondo for Meow Gag